Is Colonoscopic Screening Necessary for Patients with Gastric Adenoma or Cancer?
- Kim, Seung Young; Jung, Sung Woo; Hyun, Jong Jin; Koo, Ja Seol; Choung, Rok Seon; Yim, Hyung Joon; Lee, Sang Woo; Choi, Jai Hyun
- Issue Date
- Gastric adenoma; Gastric cancer; Colon adenoma; Colonoscopy; Cancer screening
- DIGESTIVE DISEASES AND SCIENCES, v.58, no.11, pp.3263 - 3269
- Journal Title
- DIGESTIVE DISEASES AND SCIENCES
- Start Page
- End Page
- Since colorectal adenoma or cancer is commonly associated with gastric adenoma or cancer, early colorectal adenoma detection can affect the survival of gastric adenoma or cancer patients. The purpose here was to investigate the colorectal adenoma or cancer prevalence and evaluate the necessity for screening colonoscopy in gastric adenoma or cancer patients. From September 2005 through August 2010, 857 patients younger than 70 years who had gastric adenoma or cancer were enrolled. Healthy age- and sex-matched controls were selected from the general screening population. The prevalence and risk of colorectal adenoma or cancer were compared between the participants and the controls. Data from 416 patients in the gastric neoplasm group (123 with gastric adenoma and 293 with gastric cancer) and 416 healthy control group participants were included in the statistical analysis. The presence of gastric adenoma or cancer was an independent risk factor for colorectal neoplasm (OR = 1.348, 95 % CI = 1.001-1.815). Patients with diffuse type gastric cancer had a lower prevalence of colorectal adenoma or cancer than those with gastric adenoma or intestinal type cancer. In gastric cancer patients younger than 50 years, intestinal type histology was significantly associated with colorectal adenoma or cancer (OR = 3.838, 95 % CI = 1.077-13.677). The colorectal adenoma or cancer risk was significantly increased in patients with gastric adenoma or cancer. Therefore, screening colonoscopy should be considered for gastric adenoma or cancer patients including young patients, in the case of intestinal type gastric cancer.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 2. Clinical Science > Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.