MRE-based NASH score for diagnosis of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Lee, Young-Sun; Lee, Ji Eun; Yi, Hyon-Seung; Jung, Young Kul; Jun, Dae Won; Kim, Ji Hoon; Seo, Yeon Seok; Yim, Hyung Joon; Kim, Baek-hui; Kim, Jeong Woo; Lee, Chang Hee; Yeon, Jong Eun; Lee, Juneyoung; Um, Soon Ho; Byun, Kwan Soo
- Issue Date
- Springer Pub. Co.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease; Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis; Nonalcoholic fatty liver; Non-invasive diagnosis; Magnetic resonance imaging; Elastography; Fatty liver; Score; MRE; MRI
- Hepatology International, v.16, no.2, pp.316 - 324
- Journal Title
- Hepatology International
- Start Page
- End Page
- Background and aims
As the prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is approximately 30% in the general population, it is important to develop a non-invasive biomarker for the diagnosis of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). This prospective cross-sectional study aimed to develop a scoring system for NASH diagnosis through multiparametric magnetic resonance (MR) and clinical indicators.
Medical history, laboratory tests, and MR parameters of patients with NAFLD were assessed. A scoring system was developed using a logistic regression model. In total, 127 patients (58 with nonalcoholic fatty liver [NAFL] and 69 with NASH) were enrolled. After evaluating 23 clinical characteristics of the patients (4 categorical and 19 numeric variables) for the NASH diagnostic model, an equation for MR elastography (MRE)-based NASH score was obtained using 3 demographic factors, 2 laboratory variables, and MRE.
The MRE-based NASH score showed a satisfactory accuracy for NASH diagnosis (c-statistics, 0.841; 95% CI 0.772–0.910). At a cut-off MRE-based NASH score of 0.68 for NASH diagnosis, its sensitivity was 0.68 and specificity was 0.91. When an MRE-based NASH score of 0.37 was used as a cut-off for NASH exclusion, the sensitivity was 0.91 and specificity was 0.55. Overall, 35% (44/127) of patients were in the gray zone (between 0.37 and 0.68). Internal validation via bootstrapping also indicated the satisfactory accuracy of NASH diagnosis (optimism-corrected statistics, 0.811).
MRE-based NASH score is a useful and accurate non-invasive biomarker for diagnosis of NASH in patients with NAFLD.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 1. Basic Science > Department of Biostatistics > 1. Journal Articles
- 2. Clinical Science > Department of Radiology > 1. Journal Articles
- 2. Clinical Science > Department of Pathology > 1. Journal Articles
- 2. Clinical Science > Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.