ConBERT: A Concatenation of Bidirectional Transformers for Standardization of Operative Reports from Electronic Medical Recordsopen access
- Park, Sangjee; Bong, Jun-Woo; Park, Inseo; Lee, Hwamin; Choi, Jiyoun; Park, Pyoungjae; Kim, Yoon; Choi, Hyun-Soo; Kang, Sanghee
- Issue Date
- standardization of operative report; medical code prediction; ConBERT; ICD-9 code
- Applied Sciences-basel, v.12, no.21
- Journal Title
- Applied Sciences-basel
- This operative report documents the details of a surgery. Standardization of the medical terminology for the operative report written in free text is significant for performing medical research and establishing insurance systems by accurately sharing information on treatment. However, standardization of operative reports is a labor-intensive task that has a risk of induced errors. We have proposed a concatenation of bidirectional encoder representations from transformers (ConBERT) model for predicting the International Classification of Disease-9 code using the operative report and diagnosis recorded in free text to standardize the operative report automatically. We compared the pre-trained models of BERT and character BERT and created a new model by concatenating the combinations of each model. The proposed ConBERT model showed a micro AP score of 0.7672, F1 score of 0.7415, and AUC of 0.9842. In addition, we developed a web-based application to demonstrate the performance of our model and make it publicly accessible.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 2. Clinical Science > Department of Transplantation and Vascular Surgery > 1. Journal Articles
- 2. Clinical Science > Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery > 1. Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.